BYGONE SUSSEX - online book

Essays, Sketches and Illustrations of bygone Sussex

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

RYE.                                        145
Friesland, James Johnson alias Huson, mariner, of Flushing, and another named Cowper, were ordered to leave the town, with their wives and children, "for theyr misbelieves contrarie to chrestian relegian."
The jealousy of the native traders led in 1587, to an order that none of the French nation should be allowed to retail textiles, haberdashery, mercery ware, or grocery in the town.
Witchcraft was still implicity believed in, and " Mother Margery," a poor old woman in the almshouse, was driven out of the town. Some raw beef was found, and it was held that as it decayed those on whom she had cast a spell would also decay. This was in 1571, and it is noted that " since her banishment the town had not been troubled with her like." In 1594 a cunning man at Hastings advised a woman to " draw blood " off " Mother Rogers," who he said had bewitched her child. In 1608, Mrs. Anne Taylor, a gentle­woman of the place, was imprisoned on the charge of having " councell" with spirits, and apparently she only escaped with her life by virtue of a " general pardon," which stayed further proceedings. Again in 1610, Joan Bayley of Rye,
who was more than four score years old, deposed
Previous Contents Next