BYGONE SUSSEX - online book

Essays, Sketches and Illustrations of bygone Sussex

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


T HE " Miller's Tomb" is within easy access by rail and road from Worthing and Brighton, and the visitor may easily include Tarring and Salvington in the course of his journey.
West Tarring, known also as Tarring Peveral, whilst practically a suburb of Worthing possesses many old world features. There is a pleasant air of repose about the village, that has been a market town since 1444. This privilege was granted by Henry VI., to his beloved lieges of the village of Tarring near the sea, because they suffered great injuries and damages in their bodies and effects from their enemies of France, and were apprehensive of the loss of their goods, and of the village itself, by these foes from over the sea, whilst they were attending to business in the nearest market. That they might be at hand to defend their homes, the King granted them the right to hold a market every Saturday. Since the days of Athelstane, Tarring has been a
Previous Contents Next