'Chap. III.] A Tour through Central East-Bourne. 37
buildings between The Terrace and Cornfield Terrace at one end, and a farm house called The Susans (immediately opposite Susans Road). That house bore a carved inscription, stating that it had been built in 1714. It was rather a striking house externally, built of flint and stone, and was very comfortable inside, and was occupied, after 3 generations of Filders had had it, for many years, by Mrs. T. E. J. Boileau, the widow of an Indian Judge, and mother of Mrs. R. J. Graham. Nos. 15-17 Elms Buildings about occupy the site. Immediately next to this house, but lying back from the road, was a comparatively modern house, built by a man named Royer, and sold by him to Mr. John Graham, J.P. The first private theatricals I ever witnessed took place in this house in 1851. The play was Box and Cox.
The Grahams were a Cumberland family, but the head of the East-Bourne branch, Mr. John Graham •came here about 1830, purchasing Rose Cottage in what is now Grove Road. This house is mentioned elsewhere. He married a daughter of Mr. E. J. Curteis, M.P., of Windmill Hill, and afterwards bought the house which at the time was called The New Susans. He enlarged it considerably and re-named it The Elms, and lived there till his death in 1879. When he bought Rose Cottage, •or soon after, he also bought some cottages near by which had been the Parish Workhouse, and some other tenements, and built Elm Cottage, and a house at the corner of South Street, which became known as " The Literary Institution." All these properties passed to his eldest son Reginald, and then to his grandson, T. H. B. Graham, who has sold nearly all. Mr. John Graham left 4 sons, Reginald just mentioned, Henry, Charles a solicitor in London, a partner in the former firm of Domville, Lawrence and Graham, and Edward who died Vicar of Warding ; also a daughter Caroline who became the wife of the Lieut. Jonathan Darby mentioned elsewhere as in 1855 an officer of the Sussex Artillery Militia. On the death of Mr. R. J. Graham his son sold The Elms and other family property. The Elms having been pulled down, on its site a row of shops has been