attributed to our groynes, which appear to be effectual bulwarks against its encroachments. The principal of them appears to be the concrete one on the Junction Road, which cost upwards of £5,000. Various have been the improvements during the last half century, the first being a road made on arches to connect Middle Street and West Street in front of the sea (the communication prior to this being the narrow street at the back, called South Street), opened by George IV., Jan. 29, 1822 (anniversary of second accession), and the whole road from the bottom of East Street to the extremity of the parish was named the " King's Road." Other improvements followed, the great sea wall being commenced in 1834, from the bottom of Ship Street opposite the Old Ship Hotel, obliterating all traces of the ruins of the old block house* that stood on this spot, built in the first year of the reign of Elizabeth. At a Court Baron on the 27th of September, 1558, the Lords of the Manor granted the inhabitants a parcel of land for the purpose of building and fortifying the same as a pro≠tection against the incursions of the French. A few years prior, viz., July 18th, 1545, the town had been attacked by them under Admiral Donebatte with 200 ships, and 26 galleys, which arrived off Brighton " but the beacons were fired, and the inhabitants thereabouts came down so thick that the Frenchmen were driven to their ships with the loss of divers of their numbers, so they did but little hurt." They then proceeded to the Isle of Wight, and two thou≠sand of their men landed, and one of their captains was slain with many others. They then returned to their vessels and attempted to landatSeaford,but "were again repelled by Sir Nicholas Pelham and others, with such power that was
* The Block House, built by Queen Elizabeth, extended 400 feet from the East to the West Gate, and was 14 feet high. The East Gate remained till the year 1777, and was then taken down to afford room for constructing a battery that stood on a portion of the site of Old Battery House, at the bottom of East Street, the powder magazine of which was recently foundóod excavating for the erection of Markwell's Royal Hotel, a few years prior the site of Mahomed's Shampooing Baths,óbelonging to the western part of the said battery.