raised in the sodden that they turned stern and so got them home again with the loss of several thousand prisoners, without achieving any act worthy to be mentioned." This Sir Nicholas Pelham (an ancestor of our much respected and worthy neighbour, the Earl of Chichester, Lord Lieutenant of the County) was buried in the church of St. Michael's, Lewes, and this exploit is thus recorded on his tomb,
" His valours proofe, his manly virtues prayse Cannot be marshalled in this narrow roome ; His brave exploit in great King Henry's dayes Among the worthye hath a worthier Toombe, What time the French sought to have sack't Seafoord This Pelham did repel-em back aboorcl."
There is an engraving of this attack in the British Museum.
Like all other buildings in that locality the old block
house fell a prey to the insatiable ocean's attacks in
January, 1749. The sea wall being completed it enabled
the authorities to make a new carriage road round the
circular Bath, at Junction Road, and considerably widen
the existing roads along the sea frontage, and to form the
beautiful slopes, &c, in front of Kemp Town. The Chain
Pier* was commenced September 18th, 1822, under the
immediate superintendence of Captain Samuel Brown,
(afterwards knighted), and opened for the admission of
the public the year afterwards, viz : on the 25th November,
costing £30,000, and proving a great attraction to the
town. Another pier, equally attractive, has been erected
opposite Regency Square, by a company of gentlemen
desirous of contributing to the comfort of our numerous
visitors. It was commenced on Easter Monday, 1868, and
opened by the Mayor of Brighton( Alderman Henry Martin),
on October 6th, 1866, with a procession, &c, and a dinner
at the Royal Pavilion, in commemoration of the event.
ANCIENT CUSTOMS OF THE TOWN.
It appears from the ancient records of the town that perpetual jealousies and strife existed between the fisher-
* It is not generally known that the Chain Pier is exactly in the centre of the Sea Front, in the Parish of Brighton, consequently the lower side of New Steine is in the west part of the town.