History Of Brighton And Environs - Online Book

From The Earliest Known Period To The Present Time.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

Abstract of the receipts and expenditure of the Directors and Guardians of the Poor from the 25th of March, 1817 to March, 1818 :—
Collected from Poor Eates paid into the
Treasurer's hands from Easter, 1817, to
Easter, 1818, viz..........£10,983 10 9
Reimbursement from parishes ......            89 14 11
Poor's earnings ............            85 12 5
Bastardy............... 201 13 0
In this year, 1818, it was resolved, for the better classifica­tion, &c, of the inmates, to build a new workhouse, and the ground was consequently purchased for that purpose at the price already named. This workhouse, like its predecessor (after having had many additions and enlarge­ments) was found to be totally inadequate for its require­ments, and consequently, in February, 1853, the then Board of Guardians determined (after a long controversy) to receive the report of a Committee appointed for that purpose, to dispose of the Workhouse and grounds and erect another Industrial School. This Committee was appointed in May, 1852, and consisted of the following gentlemen, viz.:—Henry Nye, Arthur H. Cox, Henry Martin, Wm. Lambert, Jno. Yearsley, Wm. Beedham, Wm. Enabling, Edmundus Burn, and Henry Schilling; and it will be seen what sad havoc death has made among them, inasmuch as there is but a third remaining, viz.:
Previous Contents Next