History Of Brighton And Environs - Online Book

From The Earliest Known Period To The Present Time.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  

Previous Contents Next


26
Messrs. Burn, Cox and Martin, at the present time, 1871. The Rev. Jno. Allen, the present Vicar of Patcham, at the time mentioned was an ardent supporter of the scheme, being Chaplain to the Workhouse.
Ground was purchased in 1854 on the Race Hill, to the extent of 7 acres, at £325 per acre, for the site of the Workhouse (subject to a tithe rental of about £8, for which half an acre and ten perches of land were given up at the north-east corner of the site as compensation for the pay­ment thereof); and for the Industrial Schools on the Warren Farm beyond the Race Course, to the extent of 20 acres, at £100 per acre. The Schools were completed, and occupied on the 14th day of August, 18G2. The Industrial Schools cost £8223,the farm buildings £1513. The greatest difficulty was experienced in supplying the same with water. A well was sunk to the unprecedented depth of 1285 feet before water could be obtained in sufficient quantities for the purposes required. The commencement of the building of the Workhouse remained in abeyance till May 11, 1865, when the first stone was laid and the building commenced. It was finished in 1867, and received its first occupants on the 12th September following. The cost of the new buildingwas£35,438 10s 5d; internal fittings, £567914s 6d; total of the whole, £41,118 4s lid,—leaving a surplus of £244 19s 7d in favor of the parish, consequent on the removal of the Old Workhouse. The land and materials of the Old Workhouse, on Church Hill, realised £42,363 4s 6d.
The population of Brighton for the last century was as follows, viz.:—
Previous Contents Next