The Census to be taken this year, on April 3, it is believed will shew the number of inhabitants to be about 90,000, and that more accommodation in the Workhouse will be required, from the fact that the inmates the last week in March numbered: Workhouse, 778; Schools, 271 ; total, 1049; the relief, in cash and kind, to the out-door poor, to £283 lis lOd; number of persons relieved, 4871.
BARTHOLOMEWS AND THE VICARAGE.
It is a singular fact that the authorities of the town have never defined the extent of the Bartholomews, which for local convenience should be done, and more especially for the inhabitants residing in the immediate neighbourhood.
The Bartholomews is frequently mentioned in the chronicles of the town. It was a kind of chauntrey or free chapel, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, and was destroyed by the French, the neighbouring parish church of Aldrington sharing the same fate, and Hove and New Shoreham partially so. Afterwards a dwelling for two or three monks, who officiated, was attached to the same. The Lord of the Manor of Brighthelmston granted a piece of land for the purposes thereof to the priory of St. Pancras at Lewes (in the parish of Southover) under a quit rent of 3d per annum. In the year 1513 the French made another of their descents on the town, under Primauget, and partially destroyed this building by the fire which devastated the parish, caused by their landing. The north portion of the same, which escaped the devouring element, was fitted up as the residence of the Vicar of Brighton (after the Reformation) and which for many years was called the Prior's Lodge. The Rev. T. Hudson built a new Vicarage house thereon, about 1790, in lieu of