received almost as a member of the family, and as such often visited them : " The Thrales often went to the Baths and Dr. Johnson went there also. The weather was cold, and Michell and Johnson meeting in the bathroom they sat down near the fire to warm themselves and converse. For a time their conversation was amicably and peacefully exchanged; but at last some knotty and difficult question arose, and not being able to adjust the matter, Michell seized the poker and Johnson the tongs, with which they enforced their arguments by thumping the grate violently and vociferating. The ladies were alarmed, and who were most unscientifically dancing the country dance, was interrupted; nor was it resumed till Wade, the Master of the Ceremonies, and the politest in the world, had pacified the wranglers."
The first stone of the present Vicarage was laid on Midsummer-day, 1834, and in the following year the structure was completed and accepted by the Bishop of the Diocese, on the unanimous recommendation of six Commissioners, namely, three laymen and three clergymen, to the effect that the exchange would be in every respect beneficial. The ground on which it is erected is exactly two measured acres. The living is a Vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of the Diocese ; but in the event of the Vicar being selected by the Crown to fill a vacant Bishopric the Crown has power to fill up the vacancy caused by such preferment. Annexed to it is the Rectory of West Blatchington, the Church of which is in ruins, and the living but small.*
The Magna Britannia, states that " The Church here is a Vicarage, but meanly endowed. The Vicar claims the old Episcopal custom of a penny per head (commonly called smoke money or a garden penny)
* Divine Service is performed at the Farm House on every Sunday afternoon by one of the Curates attached to the Parish Church of St. Nicholas, Brighton.