History Of Brighton And Environs - Online Book

From The Earliest Known Period To The Present Time.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

road extending from the Albion to the Suspension Pier. To the southward of the same, near the centre of the posi­tion now covered by this new promenade, there existed a battery in the year 1734,—but the inroads of the sea have swept it away, a result similar to what has befallen other portions of our sea, front. It is also in contemplation to continue the road to Kemp Town,—thus forming, as it were, " the Rotten Bow" of Brighton,—an under-cliff, like unto that of the Isle of Wight, and an agreeable resort for invalids and promenaders during the winter months. This work, when carried out, will prove a most advan­tageous and attractive one for the town, the eastern part of it in particular.
Previous to 1750 the town was not visited, for the sake of pleasure and health, by many persons of distinction, but remained in comparative obscurity. In that year Dr. Richard Russell removed here from Mailing, near Lewes, took up his abode, and succeeded, by his talents and writings, in calling the attention of the public to the advantages arising from the use of sea-water. His works not only extended his fame, but brought into repute the town that he had adopted for his residence, and Dame Fashion soon patronized his efforts, as the following extract from a Brighthelmstone Guide, published in July, 1777, will show :—
This town, or village of renown Like London Bridge, half broken down, Few years ago was worse than Wapping, Not fit for a human soul to stop in; But now, like to a worn-out shoe, By patching well, the place will do. You'd wonder much, I'm sure, to see How its becramm'd with quality: Here Lords and Ladies oft carouse, Together in a tiny house ; Like Joan and Darby in their cot, With stool and table, spit and pot;
Previous Contents Next