1759, at the age of 72, and was buried in the family vault in South Mailing, Lewes. The place of his residence in this town was on the spot now the Albion Hotel, formerly called Eussell House (afterwards the residence of the Duke of Cumberland). In honor of his memory, Eussell Street was named after him. It was admitted by all that he had done this town an incalculable degree of good. In the card room of the Old Ship Hotel there is an excellent likeness of the doctor, painted at the expense of Mr John Hicks, the then landlord, out of compliment, as the establishment at that time was the resort of the Materia-Medica visiting this town. Dr. Eussell's works on the use of sea-water obtained a world-wide renown. After his death he was succeeded by Dr. A. Relham, who wrote a treatise on the invaluable efficacy of sea-bathing, and the salubrity of the town and neighbourhood, and the Rev. Dr. Mannington, of Jevington, wrote the following epigram on the abilities of Dr. Eussell:—
" Admiring ages Russell's fame shall know Till oceans' healing waters cease to flow."
And the following by Mr Serjeant Kemp, his grandson :—
Brighthelmston was confessed hy all
To abound with females fair, But more so since fam'd Eussell has
Preferred the waters there. Then fly that dangerous town ye swains
For fear ye shall endure A panic from some bright sparkling eya
Which Russell's skill can't cure.
FIRST VISIT OF THE PRINCE OF WALES.
In the year 1782, being 20 years of age, the Prince of Wales paid a visit to his uncle, the Duke of Cumberland,