History Of Brighton And Environs - Online Book

From The Earliest Known Period To The Present Time.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

this novel machine stood was purchased by Mr Hall, surgeon, and some handsome property erected in its place, now occupied by Mr Page, bookseller, &c. Near this spot (in July, 1811,) the last person in this town was pilloried, of the name of Fuller, who underwent the punish­ment for endeavouring to pass a forged note. The platform was about 10ft from the ground, consisting of a frame and upright pillar, around which it revolved, and was made with holes and folding boards, through which the head and hands of the culprit were put. From 12 to 1 o'clock he continued to take the circuit of an area of about 18ft., under the superintendence of the High Constable and his Headboroughs, who had escorted him thither from the King and Queen Inn, to which house he had been brought from Lewes by the authorities of the House of Correction. A large concourse of people assembled to witness the punishment.
In 1793, his Royal Highness and the Duke of Marl­borough, whose house stood at the north end of the Pavilion, made a spacious sewer for carrying off a stream which flowed occasionally from the Level and the well at Patcham and sometimes inundated the Steyne, and from thence emptied itself into the sea. The back of Marlborough House was to the west, where the public road passed from East Street to the bottom of Church Street. In con­sideration of the great expense of this most important improvement the Lords of the Manor, with the consent of the homage, gave his Royal Highness and the Duke of Marlborough consent to rail in or enclose a certain portion of the Steyne adjoining their houses respectively, but never to build or encumber it with anything that might obstruct the prospect or be in any shape or way a nuisance to the Steyne. In 1800, His Royal Highness purchased more pro­perty from MrWeltjie, and, the year following, that called Elm Grove Gardens, and the shrubberies and pleasure grounds of theDuke of Maiiborough,which grounds London
Previous Contents Next