History Of Brighton And Environs - Online Book

From The Earliest Known Period To The Present Time.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  

Previous Contents Next


57
of a gorgeous character, and in strict harmony throughout the whole of this remarkable building; on occasions, such as State Balls, &c, it must have been a splendid spectacle, the uniforms of the Foreign Ambassa­dors, General Officers, representatives of various orders, all uniting to make the ''coup d'oeil" particularly striking. King George IV. was a frequent visitor to Brighton (his last visit was in the year 1824), and on his death, in 1830, the Pavilion was inherited by William IV., who, on his accession to the throne received an address from the town, resolved on at a meeting convened for that purpose, under the presidency of the High Constable (Mr. Thos. G. Sarel), upon whom devolved the honor of presentation of the same to King William, at Buckingham Palace. The King's answer thereto was remarkably short, yet very gratifying,—here are his words : " Tell the inhabitants of Brighton I thank them, and shall soon be with them." He kept his promise, a short time after. In the month of July his Majesty paid a hasty visit, his object being the removal of anything objectionable at the Palace prior to his residence therein with Queen Adelaide, which took place on the 30th of August, 1830. During the King's sojourn, he gave instructions for important alterations to be effected, notably the erection of the dormitories, the ivy-clad build­ings to the westward of Carlisle House, at the southern entrance of Pavilion grounds; the elegant northern en­trance in Church Street; and a suitable entrance to the south, in North Street. On this royal estate becoming the property of the town, this latter building was pulled down, and the present unpretentious entrance substituted.
Their Majesties kept up festivities in the Pavilion in a regal manner; the Royal invites to a County Ball in the Palace on one occasion were accorded unto 1600 of the nobility and gentry, and " the line" of carriages bearing these numerous guests extended from the entrance of the
Previous Contents Next