Pavilion, through East Street, to the Bedford Hotel, several hours elapsing before the last visitor was set down.
The decease of King William IV. took place in June, 1837; on the 4th of October, in the same year, Queen Victoria paid her first visit to Brighton, and in the autumn of the following year again honored our town by her presence. In February, 1842, the Queen and her royal consort, Prince Albert, arrived here, and sojourned four weeks ; the following year, in the month of September, they landed from the royal yacht on to the Chain Pier,—on their return from a visit to Louis Phillipe, at Chateau d'Eu, near Dieppe.* The last royal residence here was in September, 1844; the Prince of Wales, Princess Royal, and Prince Alfred arriving here for the benefit of their health. Their stay was of short duration,—only a fortnight,—and hopes were entertained that Her Majesty would have joined the royal children during this marine visit, but these hopes were not realized, it being announced shortly afterwards that the Queen had purchased "Osborne," her favorite residence in the Isle of Wight, and from that period our beautiful marine palace has been forsaken by royalty. Yet let us indulge a sincere wish that the time is not far distant when we may be again honored by the residence among us of Royalty. The Prince of Wales and his illustrious Princess, the Princess Mary of Cambridge, the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Teck, Sir Hope Grant, Sir Richard Garrett and Colonel, now Sir William Knollys, paid us a visit on the Easter Review day in 18G6, —a full length painting of the Mayor (Alderman Henry Martin), commemorative of the event, and presented by him
* A valuable and interesting painting, commemorative of the landing of the royal party, painted by our talented and honoured townsman, Mr R. H. Nibbs, and presented by him to the local authorities, is now on the walls of the picture gallery in the Pavilion.