History Of Brighton And Environs - Online Book

From The Earliest Known Period To The Present Time.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  

Previous Contents Next


59
to the town, is in the Pavilion ; Prince Arthur came down on Easter Monday in the present year, 1871, and we trust these visits to our attractive town are but the pre­cursors of many such opportunities for rejoicing on the part of the loyal inhabitants of this borough.
Gradually the Pavilion became despoiled of its costly furniture and fittings, the royal servants were discharged on the 27th December, 1847, and eventually it was announced that the building was to be razed to the ground, the materials sold, and the land disposed of for building purposes. It further became publicly known in November, 1848, that the Royal Commissioners of Woods and Forests intended to introduce into Parliament a Bill for the sale of the property, the funds derivable therefrom to be devoted to further improvements at Buckingham Palace ; and from an estimate made of the value of the Pavilion, it was thought worth £100,000. So much alarm was created in the minds of the inhabitants at the idea of losing this great local attraction, that our Town Commissioners (the governing body prior to the incorporation of Brighton in 1854) put in their claim for a restoration, by the Crown, of the roadway which formerly existed through the Pavilion from Church Street to Castle Square, also pointed out that other portions of the ground which had been sold to the Prince of Wales had restrictions against building, which restrictions could not be removed without the consent of the Lords of the Manor. The Bill for its sale, however, passed, and on the 27th of July, 1849, a Vestry Meeting of the rated inhabitants determined upon opening negociations with the Crown authorities with a view to its purchase, and the restrictions mentioned were urged with the desire of obtaining it for a lesser sum than that already named. Eventually, to avoid litigation, it Was arranged that the purchase money should be £53,000, and an Act of Parliament was obtained to give the Town authorities power to secure the estate. In
Previous Contents Next