Dorset, Monmouth, Brecon, and South Hants Militia took place near Rottingdean ; and on the 13th August, 1810, a sham fight took place on the Race Hill, at which there were present the Prince of Wales, the Dukes of York, Cumberland, Clarence, Sussex, and Cambridge; 30,000 spectators assembled. Several persons descendants of members of the above-named Militia regiments are resident in Brighton, and occupying good positions.
THE AMUSEMENTS OF BRIGHTON AND THE THEATRES.
The Assemblies were held every Monday from August to March. In the season only, promenade concerts were given at the Castle Tavern, Castle Square, corner of the Old Steine, looking eastward. This tavern was opened in 1755, and pulled down in May, 1822. These concerts were given three times a week, under the superintendence of Mr Forth, who was elected M.C. in 1808, as successor to Colonel Wade.
In removing the hotel portion of this building it was anticipated that it would greatly improve the Pavilion. The Ball and Assembly Room was converted into the Royal Chapel and consecrated, remaining as such till the Royal property came into the possession of the town,— when, in 1850, in accordance with arrangement, it was razed to the ground and the materials sold to Miss Wagner (sister of the Vicar), and re-erected in Montpelier Place, known as St. Stephen's Church, the Rev. George Wagner receiving the appointment as officiating clergyman, and now held by the Rev. C. E. Douglas.
The other ball and assembly rooms were those known as the Old Ship Rooms, situate at the rear of the Old Ship Hotel, and erected in the vear 1650: from this establish-ment arose the name Ship Street. Masonic meetings and banquets took place in these fashionable rooms prior to the