History Of Brighton And Environs - Online Book

From The Earliest Known Period To The Present Time.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

jewellers, its erection dating back to the year 1774. Owing to the rapid increase of the population, a theatre was erected, in 1778, at the upper part of Duke Street, and later, in 1807, on the completion of the New Road, another, on a more extensive scale, was erected by Hewitt Cobb, Esq., of Clement's Inn, London, on the site of the present one. The first stone of this building was laid by Mr. Brunton, sen., on the 24th September, 1806, and the theatre opened on the 6th of June, 1807. The tragedy of Hamlet was selected for the opening play, the celebrated artistes Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kemble sustaining the prin­cipal characters. In the month of August, in the year 1809, Mrs. Siddons, "the queen of tragedy" (sister of Mr. Charles Kemble), appeared as "Mrs. Beverley" in the play of The Gamester; her farewell performance on the stage.
Appended is a copy of the " bill of the play" :—
THEATRE, BRIGHTON. The Managers {eel happy, in most respectfully announcing to the Public, that
Previously to her final Retirement from the stage, has consented to appear in
Two or Three of her
Previous Contents Next