History Of Brighton And Environs - Online Book

From The Earliest Known Period To The Present Time.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  

Previous Contents Next


98
absent, and the character was undertaken by the actor spoken of at a very short notice, he achieving a great success in his impersonation of the same, and which, in consequence, excited the jealousy and ire of the absentee, leading to Cory's dismissal. He then, in conjunction with his wife, likewise a member of the corps dramatique, established two schools at the top of Mulberry Square, in North Street, opposite Ship Street (now extinct and at present forming a portion of the business premises of Messrs. Palmer and Co.), where they resided for many years. He was the composer of " Will Watch, the Bold Smuggler," a celebrated song of world-wide renown, the authorship of which has been erroneously attributed to others, but the author of this work vouches for the accuracy of this statement. Eventually this leading place of amusement became the property of George Cobb, Esq., and by him, a few years since, was disposed of to the present owner, Mr. Henry Nye Chart, who has recently re-erected and beautified the same, and, in conjunction with his worthy partner,a much-esteemed lady, cater for the public requirements in a manner beyond all praise, engaging the first talent on the boards in their desire to gratify the frequenters of their establishment.
In 1808 a permanent Circus was erected on the Grand Parade, near the spot occupied by the Grand Parade Chapel. It was opened in August of the same year, under the lesseeship of Mr Brunton, had a frontage of 100ft., and was of the same depth. As adjunct thereto, there was a brilliant lounge, also confectionary department and a Coffee House and hotel, the latter occupying a wing to the south of the Circus. From want of support the Circus had but a short existence, closing in 1812 ; the premises for some years after were used as a Bazaar, and above the stall of Mrs Bichardson there was suspended an immense painting. Since the demolition of the Grand Parade Circus, various equestrian troupes have visited Brighton,
Previous Contents Next