to the town and their offensive features become much modified. However we may incline to respect the conscientious feeling that withholds the support of our Dissenting brethren, still we cannot disguise the fact that the amusement of the visitors has not been fully considered, and that the interests of the town have suffered in consequence. To use a homely phrase, ' We all row together in the same boat,' and we are bound to sacrifice something towards supporting the character and prosperity of Brighton."
The next step taken was the erection of a new Grand Stand in the place of the shabby wooden building of 1803. The Town Surveyor of the period, Mr Allan Stickney, was requested to furnish the designs, and the present handsome and commodious structure was commenced May 1st, 1851, and opened in August following at a cost of £5000. The southern wing has since been added, and was first occupied on the occasion of the Easter Monday Review of 1866, by the Princess of Wales, Princess Mary of Cambridge, the Hon. Mrs Stonor, and the Mayoress, the Mayor of Brighton (Mr Alderman Henry Martin), Sir William Knollys and Colonel Tyrwhitt. The Prince of Wales marched past at the head of his corps, The Honourable Artillery Company, and in the presence likewise of H.E.H. the Duke of Cambridge, Prince Teck, Sir Hope Grant, Sir Hugh Rose, and other distinguished Officers. The Royal party and suite were, after the Review, entertained by the Mayor and Corporation to a sumptuous repast in the Banqueting Room at the Royal Pavilion. The Prince of Wales, in responding to the toast of " The Prince and Princess of Wales,"—proposed by the Mayor,—thanked the Mayor and Corporation for the hospitality and cordial welcome accorded to them, remarking that " He had been highly pleased with his visit to Brighton, and the proceedings throughout the day had given him entire satisfaction."