annually take place at the conclusion of the season). Matters thus progressed till the year 1827, when the Barracks were taken down (except the officers' quarters), and the materials sold. At this time Lord Gage came forward and liberally assisted the fallen fortunes of the Hunt, by allowing the stud belonging to the same to be taken to his stables at Firle. He also purchased some cottage property at Rushy Green, Bingmer, and built kennels and stables thereon (using a considerable quantity of the old Barrack materials in their erection). C. J. Craven, Esq., of Kemp Town, was then Master of the Hunt; Press, the Huntsman,—and for a short time, Hennesey. A few years later, upon Mr Craven relinquishing the Mastership, Capt. Green undertook the management, but after some time the Hunt totally collapsed, and the hounds, kennels, stables, &c, were sold. It remained in abeyance for a time, and was then resuscitated by Freeman Thomas, Esq., of Katton, near Eastbourne (Brooker being the Huntsman), under the name of " The Southdown Foxhounds." It was afterwards thought desirable by many that an attempt should be made to bring them back to their old locality, it being within easy reach of Brighton, and its funds would thereby be enriched by the numbers that would consequently attend its meets in the neighbourhood. It was finally resolved that, if possible, this should be done, and means adopted to bring about so desirable an end. The first step taken was to find suitable premises for its requirements, and efforts were made to induce the Government to grant a lease of that portion of the Barracks that had not been demolished, for the purposes of the Hunt, which for many years had been used as a Lunatic Asylum; but these proved
by the Parliamentarians, contracted a cold and died therefrom in 1643. He was buried in Ringmer Church, wherein a tablet is erected to his memory. It is likewise on record that, the roads being so extremely bad, his family, to attend Divine Service, had to be drawn to Church by eight oxen.