History Of Brighton And Environs - Online Book

From The Earliest Known Period To The Present Time.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  

Previous Contents Next


Ill)
their old quarters in the parish from which they had been removed for many years, Mr Henry Martin expressing himself satisfied, and absolving the gentlemen who applied to him for his premises from all liability in respect of the same, the object sought having been accomplished. Alexander Donovan, Esq., of Framfield, became the Master, and Champion, the Huntsman. After a few years Mr Donovan was succeeded by William Langham Christie, Esq., of Glyndbourne, who, at the conclusion of the season of 1871, relinquished the same, and was followed by the present master, E. J. Streatfield, Esq., of the Rocks, Uckfield, who, we hope, will enjoy the sport for many years, and successfully conduct the fortunes of the Hunt. There are other packs of hounds in the county, but our object has been to give a short history of those more imme­diately connected with the town of Brighton.
ROUTES AND TRANSIT TO THE METROPOLIS.
There have been, from time to time, several distinct routes from Brighton to the Metropolis, although of late years some of them have been in disuse. One road (prior to the making of the present one to Falmer and Lewes) proceeded by way of Elm Grove crossing the hills above Bevendean and Falmer, and onwards to Lewes, Offhani, Chailey, Witch Cross, East Grinstead, Godstone, Croydon, &c, to London, the distance being 57 miles ; or, if after leaving Lewes, the road traversed being by way of Uckfield, Forest Row, and East Grinstead to Godstone and Croydon, the distance was two miles longer.
Another route was by way of Ditchling Hill, passing the upper end of Lord Chichester's park and the Beacon, down the Bosthill, through the Village of Ditchling to
Previous Contents Next