History Of Brighton And Environs - Online Book

From The Earliest Known Period To The Present Time.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  

Previous Contents Next


194
Incorporation. Ho died on tho 28th day of March, 1869, and the following extract from the Brighton Examiner of the period is here inserted as a tribute to his merits and in justice to his memory :—
" It has become our painful duty this week to record the death of Mr Lewis Slight, a gentleman whose name will long be remembered as associated with all the local reforms and improvements of Brighton from about fifty years ago up to the time of the Incorporation of the borough in 1854. Leicestershire was, we believe, his native county, and in taking up his residence in Brighton he opened, in conjunction with Mrs Slight, his first wife, a small and unpretending shop in Poplar Place (Lanes), where for some years they carried on a respectable, although not extensive business. At this time Mr Slight entered with much energy into local matters, and was distinguished as an able and somewhat eloquent, although not showy speaker at public meetings on every question of local economy and reform, and an uncompromising opponent of extravagance and jobbery of every kind. From Poplar Place Mr and Mrs Slight removed to a more eligible situation in North Street, the premises at present occupied by Mr Noakes, chemist; and afterwards to more private premises in Ship Street. In the meantime Mr Slight had received the appointment of Clerk to the Commissioners of Brighton, a post for which he was, by his natural talents and local experience, eminently qualified; and which had hitherto been held by a professional man,—in other words, a lawyer,—an arrangement which had been always opposed by Mr Slight,—and a few more local politicians, —as extra­vagant and inefficient. It was in the position of Commis­sioners' Clerk that Mr Slight was enabled, more than any other individual, by his foresight, tact, and business qualifications, to promote the great public local improve­ments which have from time to time been effected, and
Previous Contents Next