vie with any in the kingdom, both for the admirable manner in which they are conducted and the provision made for the comfort of guests. The largest and most extensive of these is The Grand Hotel, a noble building on the western sea frontage,—King's Road- An engraving of this really elegant hotel is here inserted and will illustrate the great extent of its resources.
Brighton was enfranchised under the Reform Act of ] 882; the first election of Members to represent the same took place on the 11th and 12th of December of that year; and the Members returned wore Isaac Newton Wigney, Esq., and George Faithfull, Esq.; the present Members are James White, Esq., and Henry Fawcett, Esq. The Parliamentary Borough includes Hove, but by the provisions of the recent Reform Act of 1868, the Parish of Preston has been annexed thereunto.
Preston is a pretty suburb of Brighton, pleasantly situated ; the high road to London passes through it, and on each side are erected spacious villas, to which attractive grounds are attached. Recently a station has been opened, and it has proved of great convenience to those who reside there. Buildings are being rapidly added, more especially in the district of Prestonville. At Preston Place, lately in the occupation of Wm. Stanford, Esq., Anne of Cleves, the unfortunate consort of Henry VHL, once resided, and here formerly might be seen a large portrait of this unhappy lady. From Preston Place she retired to a Convent at Falmer, where she died. This Convent was converted into the farm-house now adjoining the Church, and is occupied by R. R. Verrall, Esq.
The population of the Parliamentary Borough of Brighton, which now includes the parishes of Hove and Preston, numbers 103,760, (this town comprising 90,018 of the number,) and the register of voters for the same amounts to 9,626. Of these 8,700 have qualified for Brighton, 683 for llove, and 243 for Preston, and wo