and the stable or cottage rudely ornamented with the fragments of its grandeur.
After the completion of this work of destruction, Cromwell was created Earl of Essex, and received a grant of the manor of Southover. This nobleman was formerly a blacksmith's son, and was born at Putney.
The site of the Priory is now called the Lord's Place, and formerly the Earl of Dorset had a mansion here, which was burnt down 130 years ago. The building adjoined the church yard, near to which stood the great church of St. Pancras, and the other buildings of the Priory. Here also were the remains of a large elliptical oven, 17 feet wide at the mouth, and vestiges of two subterraneous passages, now choked up with filth, which are supposed to have been applied to the use of aqueducts or sewers.
Of the Priory gate there is still enough to give an idea of the grand and expensive style of architecture which this wealthy community affected in all their buildings. It consisted of Caen stone and Sussex marble, adorned with nail-headed quarterfoils, and other ornaments, in the best style of the 15th century.
In the Chapter-house were monuments of the founder, his wife and son, bearing date 1035; of William, Earl of Moreton and Surrey, 1240; of his great nephew, 1379, and doubtless others of the family. As already mentioned the remains of Gundrada and her husband, Earl de Warrenne, were exhumed on excavating for the railway, and these remains were re-interred in Southover Church. A journey to these interesting ruins of a former magnificent structure would amply reward both antiquarian and visitor.
This Priory formerly covered a space of 40 acres, and was inclosed with a stone wall of considerable height. Within this inclosure, or rather fortification, stood these extensive buildings, among which was a water-mill, that was supplied with water from the Cockshut Stream, also