History Of Brighton And Environs - Online Book

From The Earliest Known Period To The Present Time.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

elevation, and its former strength and importance may even now be justly estimated by an inspection of the noble ruins. To those fond of exploring the works of former ages, an hour here may be agreeably devoted. It is remarkable that, in Domesday book, (which was begun in 1086, by order of "William the Conqueror), the Castle retains its ancient name, for it is there written Brember Castle. The rape of Bramber at the conquest was given to William de Braose. The descent of the Castle continued in that family, through successive generations, until October 19, 1672, the 24th of Charles II, when it was restored to Henry Howard, Earl of Norfolk, hereditary Earl Marshal, — this nobleman succeeding his brother as Duke of Norfolk, which title had been dormant for 107 years, owing to the attainder of Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk, who was executed on Tower Hill, June 2, 1573,15th Elizabeth. The Castle and rape of Bramber descended with that of Arundel, in 1819, to Edward Bernard Howard, Duke of Norfolk. It is scarcely to be believed that, so late as the Protectorate of Cromwell, this Castle contained a numerous garrison of the Parliamentary forces.
The rape of Bramber contains thirty-two parishes, ex­tending from Worthing to Shire Mark Mill (which forms the boundaries of Surrey and Sussex, beyond Horsham), north to south, 82 miles. From Edburton to Upper Burpham Farm, east to west, eleven miles. The principal places in this Bape are Old and New Shoreham, Worthing, Horsham, Steyning, &c.
During the summer months, gypsy-parties, picnics, and the like, are common at Bramber Castle, and it is a favourite, much - patronised resort. With scholastic establishments it is a frequent retreat,—the study of books deserted for a peep into the past afforded by this remnant of antiquity. A few years since, it was honoured with a visit from the Sussex Archaeological Society, and a
Previous Contents Next