History Of Brighton And Environs - Online Book

From The Earliest Known Period To The Present Time.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  

Previous Contents Next


223
paper on "its history" was read on the occasion by Durrant Cooper, Esq. It is certainly one of the prettiest and most sought pleasure retreats in Sussex, and is surrounded with lovely scenery.
There is a Station of the South-Coast Bailway at Bramber, about half-a-mile from the town of Steyning, and within a short distance of Shoreham.
LANCING.
Ten miles from Brighton and within two of Worthing, is situated the village of Lancing, which skirts the sea. It contains several lodging houses, also an old-established and excellent scholastic establishment for young gentlemen, conducted by W. W. Pyne, Esq.
This village won the admiration of the late Princess of Wales, — consort of George IV., and here she occasionally resided, and from this place, on the 12th of August, 1814, after a brief sojourn, took her departure for the continent, The Jason frigate, commanded by Capt. King, lay off the town in waiting for the embarkation of Her Royal Highness,—here is a description relating to the latter event and the Princess while at Lancing,:—
On August 2, 1814, the Princess of Wales arrived at Worthing, previous to her departure for the continent. The Jason frigate, commanded by the Hon. Captain King, lay off that town, in waiting for the embarkation of Her Royal Highness. Between that day and the 9th, the Princess came to this village, and walked to the beach, opposite the Horse Shoes Inn, where she would sit for some time on a capstan, which the landlord of the house used to point out with feelings of affectionate veneration. Sometimes her Royal Highness appeared so lost in contemplation, that
Previous Contents Next