HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
the Commissioners valued them among the Royal estates. They included a messuage and dwelling-house called the George, with its four burgages, two barns, stable, stall, garden, orchard and yard, occupied by Robert Pickering, who had recently built the house of stone and had secured a demise of it for ever on the payment to the Earl of Dorset of twelve pence and to Richard Amherst of forty pounds. A second property was Hartscroft, or Bushfield, or Bushcroft, of 41/2 acres, in the tenure of Edward Paine, who had acquired it of two persons named Allen Carr, possibly father and son (one was Vicar of East Grinstead), for £40. A third was known as Digman's Mead or Katteraw's Mead and two parcels called the Riddens, of 11 acres, then held by Richard Cole, whose family acquired this also of the Carrs for £120. Katteraws is no doubt a corruption of " Katherines " and was a meadow originally belonging to the chantry or guild of that name. The revenue arising to the King from these three and one other property in Lingfield was £6 per annum, and a jury sitting at East Grinstead on May 20th, 1646, apportioned a rent of £2 to the George, £1 to Hartscroft, £2 to Digman's Mead and £1 to the Lingfield property. Cromwell's Commissioners valued the improved rent four years later at £24. 10s. and reported that they were unable to ascertain by what right or title the vendors had sold to the tenants named. But we know now that there was established in the town, a least a century before this date, a fraternity or merchant guild of St. George and St. Catherine. It had a chapel and owned a messuage called the George. In 1547, on the abolition of chantries, the George and other premises belonging to St. Catherine's Chantry passed to Edward VI. by Act of Parliament, and in 1551 the King granted these premises in fee simple to John Johnson and others for the use of Lord Richard Sackville, who thereupon granted the premises to his son, Thomas, for 60 years, and about six weeks later granted them in reversion for 99 years to William Sackville. But in the same year the premises came again to the Crown on an exchange made with Lord Clinton.