THE HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD - Online Book

The rise and progress of the town and the history of its institutions & people.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


18                        HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
1568, the Duke of Norfolk, as Earl Marshal of England, issued fresh regulations, one of which was:
That from henceforth there shall be no new arms granted to any person or persons without consent thereunto of the Earl Marshall had. Provided always that it shall be lawfull for Garter, Clarenceux and Norroy and every other of them jointly together to give new crests and confirmances as heretofore they have done . . . and that no patents of arms he granted unless the hands of the three Kings of Arms be thereto subscribed.
Four years later the East Grinstead arms were granted. The latter part of the Earl Marshal's rule had been generally disregarded and new grants of arms continued to be issued on the authority of the Garter or one of the Kings of Arms alone. This is the case with East Grinstead; Garter alone signs it and the Earl Marshal's warrant is not mentioned and presumably was not obtained. The order had so little effect, and the scandal of unauthorised grants increased so much, that the public executioner obtained a grant with the Royal Arms of Aragon and Brabant! This was too much and the granter, Segar, successor to W. Dethick, was sent to prison for his freely bestowed favours.
Previous Contents Next