42 HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
William Jephson belonged to Mallow and was connected with the well-known Jephson family of Froyle, in Hampshire, ancestors of the present holders of the Jephson baronetage.
1680-1, Feb. 11th. Sir Cyril Wyche and Henry Powle.
This Parliament last met in 1681 at Oxford, but only for a week, and was not called together again during the reign of Charles II.
1684-5, March 19th. Simon Smith and Thomas Jones.
On May 23rd, 1685, John Conyers complained to Parliament of the undue election of these two Members, but nothing was done in the matter.
1688-9. Sir Thomas Dyke, Bart., and Thomas Sackville.
This was the Convention which called William of Orange to the throne and afterwards formed itself into a Parliament.
The Dyke family belonged to Horeham, Sussex, and were owners of the Star Inn and of the '' two burgages formerly called the New Inn, alias The Ounce, afterwards The Cat and then called The Dorset," the famous old house not being so last named until the Sackville family acquired the freehold from Sir John Dixon Dyke, the third Baronet, and who married a Miss Jane Philadelphia Payne Home, of East Grinstead. This lady was the daughter of Mr. George Home, of London, banker, who is buried in the chancel of East Grinstead Church (1738), under a stone engraved with his name and coat of arms. This Mr. Home had married Philadelphia, daughter of Edwd. Payne, of East Grinstead (1662-1713) and half-sister of Chas. Payne, of East Grinstead and Newick (1707-1734), whose monument may also be seen on the walls of the chancel of our Parish Church, so that old John Payne, of Pixtons, in East Grinstead, who died in 1507 and whose will is set out in the chapter dealing with the church history, may claim amongst his many other lineal descendants the present representative of the Hart Dyke family. Sir Thomas, the Member for East