ITS MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT. 61
was that the Borough is certainly not co-extensive with the town division of the parish, which is merely a division made for the convenience of the parish officers in collecting the rates. It was stated to me as probable that the Borough does not extend beyond the town on any side but the north, on which last-mentioned side is a burgage tenement at some distance from the town. It appears certain that no part of the Borough can be out of the town division of the parish and it probably falls very short of it.
This report was accompanied by a map showing the Borough boundaries so far as they could be ascertained. They included the whole High Street back as far as the Hermitage; Ship Street; and the London Road, about as far as Newlands. The result of these reports was that in the Act passed the following year East Grinstead was one of the many small Boroughs disfranchised, and its political life was henceforth merged in a county constituency.
The same Act practically abolished the office of Bailiff. This officer had always been annually elected at the Courts Leet of the Duke of Dorset, and the position had been held alternately for some years by Mr. John Stenning and Mr. Edward Cranston. The latter's final work was the preparation of the report just quoted; the former was elected to succeed him at a gathering of the tenants of the Manor held in Sackville College on November 23rd, 1832, and this was the last appointment to the time-honoured office.
For 50 years afterwards East Grinstead remained a part of the county constituency of East Sussex, and it then gave the name to the existing Parliamentary Division. At the first election for the newly-formed constituency, on December 2nd, 1885, Mr. G. B. Gregory, of Boarzell, Hawkhurst, who had sat for East Sussex, and was for many years Treasurer of the Foundling Hospital, was elected in opposition to Mr. C. J. Heald, who stood in the Liberal interest, but who, on September 19th, 1885, had been thrown over by all the wealthy leaders of his party. On May 5th, 1886, the old Member was entertained at a complimentary banquet in East Grinstead, and on July 13th following the Hon. A. E. Gathorne Hardy, son of Viscount Cranbrook, and