THE HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD - Online Book

The rise and progress of the town and the history of its institutions & people.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


80                         HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
must suffice. The following is a compete list of the " Christeninges " from December 26th to the end of the year, March 25th (old style):—
The marriage entries begin on November 17th, 1558, but time, damp, rust and moth have mutilated the out­side leaves and nothing is legible before the following:—
The first few pages of burials have evidently been detached from the book and lost, but appended are all the entries from January 18th to March 25th, the end of the year (old style):—
Families bearing several of the above names still reside in the district.
In all the earlier volumes there are, at the ends, records of " Briefs" received from other parishes. These were royal letters patent authorising, almost ordering, collections in churches for charitable and other purposes. The repair and rebuilding of churches was for a long period of years effected by this method. They were originally issued from the Court of Chancery, but grew so frequent that they were latterly only granted by
Previous Contents Next