THE HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD - Online Book

The rise and progress of the town and the history of its institutions & people.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


THE PARISH CHURCH.
81
that Court on the application of Quarter Sessions. The records in the East Grinstead registers only refer to briefs received from other parishes and not to those issued on behalf of this parish, so that they are devoid of local interest.
The average nett yearly value of the living is now about £300, with a good house and over two acres of glebe land. The owners of the great tithes are Lord Sackville, Earl De la Warr and the Rev. C. W. Payne Crawfurd. Their predecessors gave up their claims on a tithe of the produce of the parish under the Tithe Commutation Act in 1842, as did also the Vicar his claim to the small tithes, and received instead rent charges, varying with the price of corn, fixed then at the following amounts and in the following proportions:—
£     s.    d.
To Earl Amherst (now represented by Lord Sackville) .. 932   13    9 To Mr. Robert Crawfurd (now represented by Rev. C. W.
Payne Crawfurd) .............................. 300    0    0
To Earl De la Warr and Earl Amberst jointly.......... 67    6    3
To the Vicar of East Grinstead ..................... 500    0    0
To the last-named amount was also added an extra­ordinary tithe of 10s. per acre on all cultivated hop lands in the parish.
The Crawfurd family, long resident at Saint Hill, then at East Court, but now at Ardmillan, hold their portion of the Rectorial tithes of the parish and their rights in the chancel of St. Swithun's by virtue of a deed dated 29th June, 1624, which is still preserved among the title deeds by the present owner, viz., the Rev. C. W. P. Crawfurd, J.P., of Ardmillan. This deed is a convey­ance for the sum of £635, of a certain portion of the Rectorial tithes, and is made by Robert Cooper, citizen and alebrewer, of Southwark (who had quite recently acquired them by purchase from the Dorset family) in favour of Edward Payne, the younger, of East Grinstead, gentleman, and Hanna, his wife. From a recital in the same deed we learn that the "chauncell" of the Parish Church was then in ruin and decay, and Cooper covenants to indemnify Payne, his heirs and
a
Previous Contents Next