HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
assigns against all claims for present or future repair of the said chancel.
It is an interesting fact, and one that brings out clearly the continuity of our parish annals, that these same tithes, with certain rights in the chancel and the Payne vault beneath it, have descended lineally through seven successive generations to Mr. Crawfurd, their present owner, while each successive holder has been a resident landowner in the parish and buried in the chancel of St. Swithun's, until the late Mr. Robert Crawfurd, J.P., D.L. (formerly of Saint Hill and father of the present holder), dying in 1883, was buried in the Cemetery. The direct ancestors of that Edward Payne (born 1593, died 1660), who purchased the tithes in 1624 and became Sheriff of Sussex in 1644, had already been resident landowners in this parish for some 200 years certainly, and probably for much longer, and continual references to members of the family occur among old local records. Thus in 1588, when Queen Elizabeth made a special appeal to the nobility and gentry to contribute funds "for the better withstanding the intended invacon of this realme " by the King of Spain, the contributions sent from East Grinstead included one of £25 —a handsome sum in those days—from Edward Paine, jun. (1560-1643).
This was the father of the Edward Payne who, with his wife Hanna, is party to the above-mentioned deed of 1624. Edward was born and baptised at East Grinstead in 1593, and was son and heir of Edward Payne (1560-1643) of the Borough of East Grinstead, gent., by Anna, his wife, daughter and heir of John Payne, of Hicksted, in Twineham, yeoman, and granddaughter of John Payne, of Hicksted, who died in 1545.
In 1619 he married Hanna, daughter of Richard Yerwood, of Southwark, gent. In 1644 he was Sheriff of Sussex, and dying in 1660 was buried at East Grinstead. At his death he owned freeholds, burgages and Portlands in East Grinstead and Hartfield, the manor and lands of Gravetye and Wildgoose, Goddenwick Farm in Lindfield, John Bartholomew's house in East Grinstead,