The rise and progress of the town and the history of its institutions & people.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search

Share page  

Previous Contents Next

THE PARISH CHURCH.                              83
Cooke's Mead (ten acres held of Imberhorne Manor), Pilsners or Gallows Croft (three acres near East Grin-stead Common and now forming part of the Halsford estate), the manor and farm of Burley Arches in Worth, a farm and lands in Barcombe and the manors and farm of Chiddingly in West Hoathly. The Hicksted property in Twineham thus came to the Paynes of East Grinstead by marriage in 1583, and so descended to Charles Payne Crawfurd, of Saint Hill, who sold it about 1800. Goddenwick, Pilsners, Burley Arches and Chiddingly also descended to the late Mr. Robert Crawfurd, of Saint Hill, and were sold about 1850.
Almost a century later, viz., in 1685, we find the Sessions House at East Grinstead being rebuilt by local contributions, and chiefly by the aid of yet another Edward Payne (1622-1688), then bailiff of the borough town. This was the eldest son of Edward Payne, the purchaser of the tithes. The second son Richard (1629-1694), a considerable landowner, settled at Lewes and there founded a thriving family, he himself being Sheriff of Sussex in 1690, and his son Richard becoming M.P. for Lewes at intervals between 1702 and 1707. The purchaser's third son, Robert (1632-1708), of Newick and East Grinstead, founded in East Grinstead the Free School, now represented by the Payne Endowment Scholarships, a matter more fully referred to in the chapter which deals with the charities of East Grinstead.
They were evidently useful citizens, these " Paynes of the Towne," as they are frequently styled in the early Parish Registers and elsewhere, to distinguish them from the many other families in the parish of the same name but of rather humbler degree, e.g., the Paynes of Ashurst Wood, Wallhill and Pickstones; the Paynes of Plaw-hatch, Legsheath, Walesbeech, Monkshill and Maules; the Paynes of Horshoe (now termed " Horseshoe"); the Paynes of Blackwell and others, who, though pro­bably connected in the distant past, had been left behind by " the Paynes of the Towne " in the race of life.
However this may be, the latter seem to have risen, by dint of frugality and industry, from substantial yeomen
o 2
Previous Contents Next