HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
Don Pedro, King of Castile. Unfortunately this return does not seem to have been preserved. The "true worth" of the chantry of Erambletye was put at 30s. in 1357-8, when a valuation was made of all benefices.
ST. MARY'S CHURCH.
The Church of St. Mary the Virgin is not yet com≠pleted, but has been in use about 15 years. Its foundation stone was laid by the Ven. Archdeacon Sutton, acting for Bishop Durnford, on July 7th, 1891. That part of the church at present in use has been erected and furnished at a cost of £4,686. In addition a sufficient endowment has been provided to enable the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to contribute £100 a year on their usual terms. The Vicarage is practically completed at a cost of about £1,700 and stands on land adjoining the church and which was purchased some years ago for £300. The organ has been partially erected at a cost of £600. The building was not consecrated until July 1st, 1905, fourteen years after its commencement, the ceremony being performed by Dr. Wilberforce, the Lord Bishop of the Diocese. On December 11th, 1905, the King signed an Order in Council assigning a district chapelry to the Church, the district in question comprising the whole of the parish which lies to the north and west of the high level line from Imberhorne Bridge to East Grinstead Station, and the low level line from East Grinstead to the Surrey boundary, except that portion which had already been assigned to the district of Felbridge. The Rev. W. W. Handford was appointed Curate-in-Charge of the Church at its establishment and he is now its Vicar. Mr. Handford was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge, and obtained his B.A. degree in 1886 and M.A. in 1890. He was ordained a Deacon in 1888 and Priest in 1889 in the Diocese of S. Albans. Prior to his residence in East Grinstead he was Curate of Castle Hedingham, Essex.