THE HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD - Online Book

The rise and progress of the town and the history of its institutions & people.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


NONCONFORMIST CHURCHES.
91
the doctrinal beliefs necessary in those who occupy the property. They are :
1.    The Divine and special inspiration of the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testament and their sole authority and entire sufficiency as the rule of faith and practice.
2.    The Unity of God, with the proper Deity of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
3.   The depravity of man and the absolute necessity of the Holy Spirit's agency for man's regeneration and sanctification.
4.    The Incarnatiou of the Son of God in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ, the universal sufficiency of the atonement by His death, and free justification of sinners by faith alone in Him.
5.    Salvation by grace, and the duty of all men to believe in Christ.
6.    The Resurrection of the dead and the Final Judgment, when the wicked shall go away into everlasting punishment and the righteous into life eternal.
The church was built by the late Mr. Edward Steer at an expense of just over 1,000 and was opened on April 5th, 1870, the whole cost up to date having been met. The opening services were conducted by the Rev. Joshua Harrison, then a popular minister in London, and who had been at college with Mr. Slight. Various ministers supplied the pulpit until the Rev. J. T. Maxwell, who had preached here on August 14th and 28th, 1870, began his fixed ministry on January 1st,
1871.    His congregation on the morning of the opening day consisted of 11 adults and a few children, and in the evening of 22 persons. But by the end of February the chapel was crowded at all services and money came in well. By June, 1871, 1,335. 7s. 8d. had been raised and this had more than paid for both plots of land and the building of the church. On April 30th,
1872,  Mr. Maxwell was publicly ordained and the church formally constituted. A service of Communion plate was, at the close of this meeting, presented to the church by the Pastor's mother. The plate now in use was given by Mr. Gaius Idiens, of Blindley Heath. By the end of 1872 the church was self-supporting, and from January, 1873, managed its own finances and affairs according to Congregational usage. A school had been established, under the superintendency of the
Previous Contents Next