and the other by Mr. John Turner, of Langton, but, contrary to the usual custom, those foundation stones have never yet borne an inscription. The existing chapel was opened on March 16th, 1881, by the then President of the Conference (Dr. E. E. Jenkins). East Grinstead had been made part of the Tunbridge Wells circuit in 1879 and continued as such until 1902, when it became amalgamated with the Sussex Mission, which has its head quarters at Lewes. Appended is a complete list of local ministers, with the year of their appointment:—
1878. Eev. W. A. Labruni.
1881. Eev. V. W. Pearson, now Principal of the Sheffield Training College for Pupil Teachers.
1884. Eev. D. W. Barr.
1886. Eev. T. L. Walton, died at New Cross, Jan. 22nd, 1894.
1889. Eev. W. C. Bourne.
1892. Eev. A. E. Eaw.
1895. Eev. Frank Edwards.
1898. Eev. Austin Davey, died at East Grinstead, 1901.
1901. Eev. Allan Parsons.
1902. Eev. E. Hugh Morgan. 1905. Eev. J. G. Gill.
The following were the first appointed Trustees of the
Chapel:—Messrs. H. A. Perkins and Frank Skinner, East
Grinstead; S. W. Jenks, Ashurst Wood; Joseph Wilson,
Crawley Down; Richard W. Tregoning, Worth; John
Newman, Copthorne; Henry W. Andrew, Lingfield;
John Turner, Langton; John B. Wells, Win. G. Harris,
Wm. H. Coates, Jos. H. Nye, Benj. Pomfret and Win.
Oliver, Tunbridge Wells; Wm. Baldwin, Tonbridge;
and John Beauchamp, Highgate, London. Of these only
Messrs. Turner, Jenks, Newman, Pomfret and Skinner
now hold office. The local Trustees appointed to fill
vacancies are Messrs. G. H. Broadley, A. W. True and
A. G. Reeves.
THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH. The adherents of the Church of Rome early found opponents in East Grinstead. On February 23rd, 1813, several of the inhabitants of the Borough and its vicinity petitioned Parliament, setting forth that they observed— with astonishment and alarm the persevering efforts of the Eoman Catholics to obtain admission to all offices of trust and authority, both