SACKVILLE COLLEGE. 105
before his formal appointment. During his regime the dilapidated buildings were completely restored and numerous improvements carried out, the Warden himself spending something like £2,000 on the building during the time he was resident there. The "Warden re-established the daily services, from time to time administered the Sacrament of the Holy Communion, and frequently preached. Dr. Gilbert was then Bishop of Chichester, and after a confirmation held in the Parish Church on May 7th, 1817, he visited the College chapel and the next day inhibited Dr. Neale from celebrating Divine worship and from the exercise of clerical functions in his diocese. Dr. Neale, after consulting with the Patron, decided to ignore the inhibition so far as services within the College were concerned. The Bishop appealed to the Court of Arches and a private inquiry was opened in the Parish Church of East Grinstead on April 4th, 1848, and on June 3rd of the same year the case came on for trial. The real point at issue was whether the College was subject to the Bishop's jurisdiction and Sir H. J. Pust, the Judge of the Court of Arches, decided that Dr. Neale was liable to ecclesiastical censure, but the Court would be satisfied with admonishing him to abstain from officiating in future without due authority, that authority being the license of the Bishop. Dr. Neale was condemned in the whole costs. The Bishop remained of the same mind for 13 years, when he virtually withdrew the inhibition, it being formally withdrawn in November, 1863, though Dr. Neale had never, as he himself writes, "withdrawn a single word, nor altered a single practice (except in a few instances by way of going further)." Dr. Neale at once responded by dedicat≠ing his "Seatonian Poems" by permission "to the Lord Bishop of Chichester, in token of veneration of his character and office, and of thankfulness for his many labours." Thus was the matter happily and gracefully ended. Dr. Neale died on Aug. 6th, 1866, aged 48 years, greatly loved by the College pensioners. His work in connec≠tion with St. Margaret's Sisterhood is dealt with elsewhere.
17. William Hooper Attree, Nov. 28th, 1866, to March 18th, 1872.
18. John Henry Rogers, M.D., March 28th, 1872, to Oct. 18th, 1879, when he died suddenly. He was the founder of the first Cottage Hospital in East Grinstead.
19. George Covey, M.R.C.8. Eng., L.S.A., Dec. 25th, 1879, to July, 1893.
20. James Harrison, the present Warden, was appointed on July 10th, 1893. He was educated at Rossal School, Owen's College, the London Hospital and Edinburgh. He was made a Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians at the last named place in 1881, and in the same year became a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. He is also a Member of the British Medical Association and was for a time senior house surgeon at the Manchester Royal Infirmary. He came to East Grinstead from Devonport, where he was medical attendant to H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh and his household and also assistant surgeon to the Royal Albert Hospital in that town. He is at the present time one of the Medical Officers to the East Grinstead General Dispensary and Cottage Hospital, also