112 HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
possession of Sir Thomas Seyntclere at his death, 6th May, 1435. He left three daughters co-heiressesó Elizabeth, then aged 12; Eleanor, 11 ; and Edith, nine years. The property was held of the King by military service and was worth 100s. a year. Brambletye came to his eldest daughter, Elizabeth, who married, firstly, William Lovell, by whom she had one son, Henry, who died, leaving two daughters co-heiresses, Elizabeth and Agnes, and, secondly, she married Richard Lewkenor. On 10th December, 1473, a jury found that Elizabeth, wife of Richard Lewkenor and daughter of Margaret Seyntclere, was the co-heiress of Sir William Bulleyn. Richard Lewkenor is the first person of that name who is described as of Brambletye. He probably built the house at Brambletye which preceded the one now in ruins.
In 1503 died Sir Reginald Bray, who married Catherina, daughter of Nicholas Hussey, who was described as of Brambletye, and was probably a relative of the Lewkenors.
In 1551 a return was made of the extent of all the manors, &c, being the inheritance of Harry Wyndsor, Esq., an idiot (committed to the care of Sir Andrew Dudley), and Constance, wife of Thomas Ryve, Esq., was declared his sister and next heir apparent, his moiety of the Manor of Brambletye and Lavortye being £16 per annum.
In the will of John Shery (archdeacon of Lewes and precentor of St. Paul's), dated 1st August, 1552, proved in November following, he leaves to his nephew, John Monke (possibly John the Monk), "my parte moite and purparte of the Manors of Bravelly and Lainerty in Grynsted and Hartfield." In 1589 William and John Shrev, or Sherry, or Sheref, seem to have been connected with the Manor.
A family of the name of Pickas, Pycas, or Pykas, were at Brambletye circa 1579. James Pickas held it in this year. John Payne held the Tanhouse Mead of three acres in East Grinstead of James Pickas, gent., as of his Manor of Brambletie, in free socage by fealty and rent of 7d., the mead being valued at 6s. Drew