114 HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
described as "of Brambletye House." He is the last known occupier of the mansion, or castle, as it is now termed. It is said that the owner was suspected of treasonable practices, and officers, on visiting the house, found there a considerable quantity of arms and military stores. The owner, whoever he may have been, was then out hunting, and getting wind of the discovery, never returned to his house. It may have been this same baronet, for he is known to have married, as his second wife, a Spanish lady, named Beatrice Herrara, and to have quitted this country and settled in Spain, where some of his descendants rose to high positions in the army of that country. The fourth baronet was Sir Philip Richards, a general officer in the Spanish service. He married the eldest daughter of the Duke of Montemar, but of this baronet or his descendants nothing further is known.
No Court appears to have been held after 1660 until August 19th, 1714, when the Biddulphs held their first Court. They purchased the Manor about 1673. In 1774 Charles Biddulph, of Burton, near Arundel, was owner of the Manor and of the lands his ancestors purchased. In 1790 John Biddulph held it, and it continued in that family until 1866, when the late Mr. Donald Larnach purchased the land, but not the manorial rights, and built the existing mansion, which was partially destroyed by fire on September 18th, 1903, but immediately re-built.
The present Lords of the Manor are Mr. J. R. Fearless and Mr. R. W. Pearless, of East Grinstead, who hold the lordship jointly as Trustees of their late father, Mr. William Pearless. The Manor, according to the accounts of Mr. Geo. Bankin, who was steward in 1782, consisted chiefly of freehold tenants, who held of the lord by fealty, suit of court, heriot, relief and other services and certain yearly rents. The best beast was due for a heriot, for every tenement of which a tenant died seized. Some of the copyholds were subject to heriot in kind and fineable at the lord's will. Other copyholds were stinted as to heriot and fine,