THE HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD - Online Book

The rise and progress of the town and the history of its institutions & people.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


THE PAROCHIAL CHARITIES.                       137
17th, 1718, and died July 11th, 1793, being buried at Godstone. By an indenture dated November 4th, 1783, made between himself and the Rev. Geo. Bethune, of Rowfant, it was set forth that Mr. Evelyn, having recently built himself a mansion on Felbridge Heath, had caused a piece of land adjoining, with a house thereon, to be fenced in for the use and support of the master of the school, and he proposed to convey, for the schoolmaster's benefit, the said house and parcel of land and £21 a year, clear of all deductions. Accord­ingly, for the nominal sum of 10s., he sold the house, land and rent charge to Mr. Bethune and his heirs for ever. The £21 was charged on Stocklands House and 12 pieces of land, 48 acres in all, situate in the parish of Bletchingley and then let at £35 per annum. On the death of James Evelyn, Jane, his wife (who was a daughter of Sir Richard Oust, of Belton, Lincolnshire), and their direct heirs, the appointment of the school­master was to devolve upon the Rectors or Vicars of Godstone, Home, Worth and East Grinstead. The master was to teach the children reading, writing, arithmetic and to repeat the catechism. Eight boys and four girls were to be admitted free of charge and the master was to find them in quills and ink, but to teach them to make their own pens. The boys were to be between the ages of six and 10, the girls between six and 13, all were to reside within 21/2 miles of the school, and they were to be drawn from the parishes named in the following proportions :—Godstone, three boys and one girl; Home and Worth, each two boys and one girl; East Grinstead, one boy and one girl. The right of nomination was to be in the hands of the respective Vicars of the parishes after the deaths of James Evelyn, his wife and direct heirs. This arrangement continued in force until 1864, when a scheme was approved making the owner of the mansion at Felbridge a trustee of the charity, authorising him to receive the income, giving him the power of appointing the schoolmaster, the right to decide as to the best matters to be taught in the school, and the power to exclude any children for
Previous Contents Next