THE HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD - Online Book

The rise and progress of the town and the history of its institutions & people.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


TOLL-GATES AND ROAD MANAGEMENT.             157
In 1784 the powers of the London to Highgate Trustees were greatly enlarged and they were given the sole control of the road between the points named. The Trustees were about 200 in number and included the Vicar of East Grinstead and some 20 other local residents. Their qualification was the enjoyment of land worth 40 a year, or the possession of personal estate worth 800. For the purpose of carrying out the Act they were given all the powers of Justices of the Peace, whether they were Magistrates or not. They were strictly forbidden to appoint any innkeeper to any office under the Trust, but this did not apply to a person who farmed the tolls, as the last toll-gate keeper at the point where Surrey and Sussex joined at Felbridge was Mr. George Worsell, who also occupied the Star Inn. The following were the tolls then demanded at the toll-house in East Grinstead, which stood at the southern entrance to the town, on the land which now forms part of the forecourt of Dr. Poynder's house:
Previous Contents Next