THE HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD - Online Book

The rise and progress of the town and the history of its institutions & people.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


TOLL-GATES AND EOAD MANAGEMENT.             159
is little short of marvellous. The petition was referred to two Members. A week later leave was given to bring in a Bill. It was before the House on March 13th; passed its third reading by April 18th; was agreed to by the Lords on the 24th, and received the Royal assent on the 28th. Thus in a little over two months was done what would possibly now take two years. The local turnpikes were abolished some 70 years later, and on June 27th, 1882, the road through East Grinstead was declared a main road and taken over by the county authorities, as and from October 16th following.
We hear very little now about the " Old Road" and the " New Road," though the names still linger in the memories of some residents. The town was originally approached from Forest Row by the disused road which turned in some 50 yards on the town side of Budgen's Barn and traversed what is now called Frog's Hole, a dangerous, circuitous route for vehicular traffic. About 70 years ago the then Earl De la Warr purchased a number of old and dilapidated buildings which sur­rounded Sackville College and had them removed, the present wide roadway which provides so charming an approach to our town from the Lewes road being made at the same time.
The approach to the town from what is now known as Sunnyside was originally by way of Hurst-an-Clays coach road, that being a public thoroughfare up to 1860. The necessary land for the making of Ship Street on its present site was given by the late Mr. C. C. Tooke, in return for a relinquishment of all public rights over the old road which led immediately past his front door and under the dove-cote. The scheme was approved by the Vestry on October 2nd, 1860.
An exact and careful measurement of all the roads in the parish was completed on March 14th, 1881, and the followine* table of distances was oonmiWl :—
Previous Contents Next