THE HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD - Online Book

The rise and progress of the town and the history of its institutions & people.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


SOME LOCAL WORTHIES.
CHAPTER XIV.
The lives of many local worthies have already been dealt with, but there are others who also merit mention.
JOHN ROWE.
John Rowe, a most able lawyer and antiquary, described by one writer as " The Father of Sussex Archaeology," came, on the maternal side, from an old East Grinstead family. His father was John Rowe, of Tonbridge, and his mother was the daughter and co-heiress of Thomas Drew, of East Grinstead. He was born in 1560 and became principal of Clifford's Inn. He died on November 27th, 1639, and was buried at St. Anne's, Lewes. For a quarter of a century he was Steward to Lord Abergavenny, and while so acting made a vast collection of manuscripts relating to the manorial history of Sussex, and a copy of this, ornamented with the arms of the owners of the Manors, was for a long time kept at the Hermitage, East Grinstead, while Mr. Wakeham and his widow resided there. It is not known where these documents now are, but a duplicate is preserved in the British Museum. His daughter Anne married Edward Raynes, of Lewes and Conyboro', which marriage resulted in an only daughter, Susanna, who became the wife, on August 15th, 1672, of Thomas Medley, of Buxted, ancestor, through female lines, of the present Earl of Liverpool.
BISHOP KIDDER.
Richard Kidder, afterwards a distinguished Bishop, was born at East Grinstead and christened in the Parish Church on February 9th, 1633-4. The family of Kidder came from Maresfield, but the future Bishop's direct
Previous Contents Next