180 HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
his friends, and in 1826 he resigned and went to Hasle-mere, in Surrey. His farewell sermon here was preached on July 4th, 1826, and a great part of the congregation were moved to tears and left the church, so he himself writes, "as returning from a funeral." A year later very strenuous efforts were made by Lord Colchester and others to get him back to East Grinstead, and though they failed in this they got him appointed on August 29th, 1827, to the living of West Hoathly. Here he accomplished a remarkable work, and his touching, eloquent sermons, which changed the character of the whole neighbourhood, were published in 1838. It was while here, on November 10th, 1836, that he married Miss Cordelia Cranston, third daughter of Mr. Edward Cranston, of East Court, East Grinstead, but their happy married life was of very brief duration, for Mr. Paterson died on January 22nd in the following year, having won a reputation which few men of 36 are able to enjoy. His widow lived until November 13th, 1847, and according to the diary of one who knew her well, " exhibited a decision of character and devotedness rarely exceeded in the circle in which she moved." Her only daughter married the Rev. G. H. Marriott, the present owner of part of the Cranston Estate, formerly comprised in the East Court Estate, which, before its partition, consisted of about 900 acres round the present house.
THE REV. F. MILLS.
An extremely interesting career was that of the Rev. F. Mills, who was born at East Grinstead of very poor parents, and gained what little education he had at Zion Chapel School. He was a wild youth, got into trouble and spent a month in Lewes Prison. He afterwards enlisted as a soldier and was sent out to Jamaica. In time he was invalided home and discharged from the Army. By this date he had entirely changed his mode of life and became a city missionary and lay preacher. In due course he was ordained and obtained a Church of England curacy in the North of England. About