SOME LOCAL WOETHIES. 181
1860 he was presented to the living of Lindfield, near Hayward's Heath. Coming back so near his home proved a serious error. Stories of his past career were spread about, the gentry ignored him and steps were taken to have him removed, but he remained in the place five years, lived down all calumny and made many friends. He died on August 9th, 1867.
Dr. John Epps was a famous writer and social reformer. He published some two dozen botanical and medical works and classical translations. He was born at Blackheath on February loth, 1805. The family, which traced its origin in this country from a Frenchman who came back with Charles II. at the Restoration, afterwards removed to Sevenoaks, and in due course young Epps was apprenticed to Mr. Durie, a London surgeon. He soon commenced to write poetry and published a tragedy dealing with the life of John the Baptist, while still a lad. After a course of study at Edinburgh he commenced to practice in London in 1827, and while there married Miss Ellen Elliott on August 24th, 1831. He started the Medical Reform Association and was one of the founders of the Homoeopathic Society. He lectured all over the country on many subjects, being particularly active in urging the abolition of capital punishment and church rates. He lived for a time at Warlingham, and after a visit to Hastings was driving back through Ashurst Wood when he saw a bill announcing a small property for sale. He liked the situation of the land, so he drove on to East Grinstead, called on the late Mr. Pearless, whom he then met for the first time, and told him to go and buy the place. The deal was carried through and the transaction led to a sincere and lasting friendship between Mr. Epps and Mr. Pearless. He afterwards bought more land adjoining and built The Yews, since enlarged and re-named Yewhurst. He permanently took up his residence there on April 30th, 1861, and remained for eight years, going back to