198 HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD.
also one of the burgesses of East Grin stead to whom the silver seal was presented in 1572, and a prosperous ironmaster, as mentioned on p. 142.
Edward, the younger son of the testator, George Payne, born about 1536, was buried at East Grinstead in 1599 as "Edward Paine the Elder." He was a burgess of East Grinstead and had married Katherine Losco, a widow of means belonging to Southwell, Co. Notts.
Their eldest son Edward (1560-1642) became the direct ancestor of a long line of Paynes " of the Town," who, as ironmasters and landowners, rose to considerable affluence in East Grinstead and the neighbouring district during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Their daughter Clemence married John Farley, of East Grinstead, and had a numerous family.
Burstow, or Brestowe Park Manor, mentioned in the above testator's will, was originally a possession of the Archbishop of Canterbury and included in the Manor of Wimbledon. In 1531 Archbishop Warham granted the manor to Sir John Gage on lease for 80 years, which accounts for the testator's reference to Sir John Gage, and his desire that the latter should be a good master to his children, and also perhaps accounts for his choice of Thomas Pelhani, of Firle, as an executor. In 1649 Edward Payne, of East Grinstead, gent., a descendant of the testator, George Payne, bought the Manor of Burstow Park and it descended for many generations in his family.
THE SUSSEX DIARISTS AND LOCAL REFERENCES.
Mr. Cramp was by no means the first Sussex diarist.
The Rev. Giles Moore, Rector of Horsted Keynes, was one of the first of this small band. He died on October 3rd, 1679, and from his diary the following references to East Grinstead are taken:—
Oct. 2nd, 1656. J. Dawes brought mee from Grinstead 4 stone of beefe, which at 22d. the stone and 2-lb. of sewet at 4d. come to 8s.