THE ABERGAVENNY FAMILY AND KIDBROOKE. 203
wrecked by the falling of the tower in 1785. The inscription on this reads:—
HlC JUXTA DEPOSITEE RKLIQUUi
Gulielmi Domini Abergavenny
Baronis Anglic Primarii ;
Qui dignitatem, a longa traditam Majorvm Serie
Gerendo vere illustrem,
Merendo fecit Suam.
Obiit 21 Septembris 1744
Sujeque .JEtatis 47.
The bodies of two other Lords Abergavenny lie in the vault, namely, George Nevill, the first Earl of Abergavenny, who died on September 10th, 1785, aged 58, and the Rt. Hon. Henry Nevill, the second Earl of Abergavenny, Viscount Nevill and Baron of Abergavenny, K.T., who died, aged 88, on March 27th, 1843. The funeral took place on April 4th. The remains of the deceased nobleman were brought in great state from Eridge Castle. The hearse and chief mourning coach were each drawn by six horses; three other coaches were drawn by four horses each; numerous carriages were also included in the cavalcade, and many retainers on horseback brought up the rear; but the grandeur of the display was greatly interfered with by a heavy and incessant rain. The clergyman who officiated was the Rev. Robert Gream, Rector of Rotherfield, Chaplain to Lord Abergavenny, and the father of the first Mother Superior of St. Margaret's, East Grinstead.
The vault was in use exactly 100 years and the following is a complete list of the 20 members of the Abergavenny family interred therein:—
William Nevill, Lord Abergavenny, the founder of Kidbrooke. He was the son of Commodore Edward Nevill, who died abroad, by his marriage with Hannah, daughter of Mr. Jervoise Thorp. He succeeded his cousin Edward as 14th Baron and as 42nd Lord Abergavenny on October 9th, 1724. Lord Edward died when only 18 years of age and left a young widow, Catherina, daughter of Lieut.-Gen. Tatton, of Withenshaw, Cheshire. After seven months of widowhood, this lady married Lord William, so that she was twice over Lady Abergavenny. She died in 1729 and nearly three years later his Lordship married Lady Rebecca Herbert, daughter of the Earl of Pembroke. Lord Abergavenny was for a time Master of the