THE BURNING OF THE MARTYRS. 215
1800 "Dungates Fields" were held with Hollybush and Standen on the Saint Hill Estate.
By 1687 the Dungates had removed to Shoreham, where one John Dungate carried on business as a mercer. On November 10th of the year stated he and his wife Susannah parted with their property in Church Street, East Grinstead, where Mr. J. E. Lark now resides, to Thomas Bodle, yeoman, and his wife Elizabeth, with remainder to Thomas Bodle, junior, a hat-maker, and his wife. This particular property was long known as the Old Almshouses, for what reason is now unknown, except it be that mentioned in the chapter dealing with the charities of East Grinstead. Not only did one of the East Grinstead martyrs evidently reside there, but they were the home also of the Kidders, parents of the boy who became Bishop of Bath and Wells. Margaret Kidder, a widow, sold the property on April 30th, 1639. Much of the adjoining property, then called Gaynesfords, belonged to the Paynes, and a branch of this numerous family held the Old Almshouses quite recently. In 1580 the forge near by was occupied by Joseph Duffelde and John Larke, and it is peculiar that one of the same name, but not sprung from a Sussex family, should be residing there over 320 years later.
About three weeks before the burning of the martyrs in East Grinstead, Henry Adlington, a sawyer, of Grenestead, which may have been either East or West, or Greenstead, in Essex, was burnt with 12 others at Stratford-le-Bow.