THE HISTORY OF EAST GRINSTEAD - Online Book

The rise and progress of the town and the history of its institutions & people.

Home | Order | Support | About | Contact | Search



Share page  



Previous Contents Next


THE CARE OF THE POOR.                    233
the first ex-officio Justice of the Peace to act on the local Bench of Magistrates. He was followed, in 1905, by Mr. J. Waters, of Hartfield. The Clerkship to both authorities was for many years held by Mr. W. A. Head, who resigned in November, 1902, and was succeeded by his partner, Mr. F. S. White, as Clerk to the Rural Council and Mr. Alan Huggett as Clerk to the Guardians. The present Chairman of the Board of Guardians is Mr. John Longley, of Turners Hill, who succeeded the Rev. C. D. Nix, of Worth. Prior to his term of office the position was held for several years by Mr. W. V. K. Stenning, and his predecessor was the late Mr. Bernard Hale, J.P., who presided over the Board for a very long period. He bought and presented to the Union the piece of land adjoining the railway and now used as a stone depot.
Previous Contents Next